Friday, March 11, 2011

Children are funny

As a school nurse, I get to spend plenty of time with children and they are hilarious much of the time.

A few days ago, I wore scrubs to work.  As a passed the kindergarten table, one of them said: You're dressed like a doctor.  I replied that I was the school nurse and that nurses often wore scrubs.  She replied that her mom was also a nurse and that she dressed like a doctor.

Today, a 7th grade girl came in with stomach pain.  I asked if it felt like cramps and she said yes, so i got her a hot pack.  Since there was a 7th grade boy in the health office, I asked her whether it was the right time of the month for cramps.  She replied that she wasn't sure, but was too lazy to check.  Since the bathroom was 3 feet away, I told her to go check.  She came out saying that yes, it was in fact that time.  I gave her a few pads to hold her through the day.  The boy then proceeded to tell me that he knew exactly what we were talking about and had already had "the talk" twice with his parents.

There is a first grade boy who always calls me Mrs. Nurse.  It is pretty adorable.  He is mildly autistic and comes to the office quite often.  Last week, he came to the health office to use the bathroom.  I was busy doing some paperwork and thought nothing of it.  15 minutes later, I heard knocking from the inside of the bathroom.  He said, "Help me Mrs. Nurse, I can't get my pants on."  Hoping for the best, I opened the door to find his still-buttoned pants around his thighs.  I unbuttoned them for him and left while he proceeded to dress.  Afterward I walked him to class to make sure he actually got there.

I am having lots of fun just seeing children.  I am not as busy as I would like to be, but it is a wonderful job.  This week, I set up a Tdap plan for the district so we can be in compliance with the new law.  Also, I am apparently good at web design because after seeing my school nurse site at BWI, my boss asked if I could help set up the Special Education website for the district.


Since I have no recent pictures of us, this is the banner I added to the school website, taken from the California Department of Public Health.  

1 comment:

  1. What a fun job! Little kids are definite crack ups, and that's great you get to be with them all day. I bet the love Mrs. Nurse! Miss you guys and hope you're safe and happy!

    ReplyDelete